Saturday, April 14, 2012

Tooltips! Ohh My!

[:1]Ok, so thats my poor attempt to make a catchy thread title..... Moving right along.

So I was buying, applying and testing my glyphs and I come to the Glyph of Immolation trap, it sounds pretty sweet as the tooltip describes it as "Use: Decreases the duration of the effect from your Immolation Trap by 6 sec., but damage while active is increased by 100%." So i'm thinking sweet, double the damage and faster, sounds like a win to me. Well it doesn't do that, I talked with a GM in game and found that the basic formula for immolation trap damage is
(1885+RAP*.1)*5 Then the glyph changes that formula to (1885+RAP*.2)*3
RAP = Ranged Attack Power
So while the basic formula has a "100%" increase, the overall effect is not that much. An example using my current numbers:
(1885+1215*.1) = 310*5 = 1550 VS (1885+1215*.2) = 620*3 = 1860
To get from 1550 to 1860 is a 20% increase in damage, nowhere near 100%. While I can see the merit of the tooltip, in my opinion for an everyday player whom doesnt crunch these numbers or really think about such numbers while playing a game, the tooltip is misleading as the perception is a doubling of damage and not just a doubling of periodic damage.

So anyways if the needs of the few or the one, can impact the many, then the above is my input.


There is no reason to ever use Immolation Trap. Even Explosive Trap does more single target damage.

The tooltip made sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment