Thursday, April 19, 2012

Survival or Marks?

My MS is already BM, anyone care to explain which spec I should have for my second slot? Thanks! :) PvE.
Go SV with serpent spread just so you can use it for AOE fights.
Last I checked, Surv has an edge on MM, especially after the MM nerfs. I've also found Surv to carry a lot more utility overall, although I do miss Aimed Shot at times.

YMMV. I say play what you enjoy. They are close enough to not matter much.
I personally love SV. It is so much fun. I heard you now get a slightly better single target DPS with MM, but I haven't tried it since I moved to SV around level 40 or so. And as Aeriel said, serpent spread has some great AOE.
I'd suggest you try both MM and SV for about a week each.

After some PvE and PvP with each, you'll probably have a favorite.

Personally, I'm a SV fanboy. Leveled SV and (outside of a brief period of MM PvE during late Wrath) have been specced SV/SV ever since.
SV. More fluidity, more CC, more fun.
what level is your hunter? is he raiding? MM is still top dog for raiding, surv is better on large aoe packs. But if you are intent on keeping BM, I would prob go MM as the second talent, unless you are not doing progressive content and you dont min max then surv is fun to play.

Last I seen its goes MM/BM/surv the exception being aoe, and with the upcoming change to multi that may even out.
Deleted by Zindara
MM will probably overtake SV in all regards of single target and aoe what with 195% weapon damage on Multi-shot, the MS cd going from 1.5 to 1 sec, and the Talent Bombardment.

Unlike SV where you have to weave in a cobra every MS or so to maintain aoe from range, RF + readiness will keep you fps stoked with MS for several seconds.
I never left Survival, and I still put up huge numbers. I'd stick with it, as I find it more enjoyable.
Marks for single target

SV for AOE intensive fights.
mm you will find your self at the top of dmg meters first 20% but then you will fall


and fall


and fall

and see the sv hunter at the top

Go SV.

BM is great single target, but lacking in AoE, which is where SV comes in strong.
alot of survival fans and thats all good. I have always been a MM guy since vanilla and where SV will overtake MM doing all those, trash mobs a MM hunter will put out more dps on boss fights in several situations...i havent been able to confirm this though as I havent gone with a SV in party yet.

However I do believe that for the guild I'm in the hunters that raid go SV which I would imagine is for the utility aspect. MM tends to be a fixed turret class which can also cause problems in fights and your dps drops down because of it.

So I'd recommend picking whatever fits better for u....I favor MM others favor SV...they both have advantages and disadvantages.
I have both MM and Surv. If it is a heavy movement fight or an aoe fight surv wins. If it is single target MM wins. Either though is viable for any raid. Since you are dead set on BM as your primary spec I would say go MM as BM is adequate for movement fights and AoE fights, then you can fall back on the MM spec for low movement turretting.

Equivalently geared surv hunters compared to me on average do about 2k less dps on stand and pound fights, where in high movement fights I am generally 2k below them, so what I am trying to say is play the one that fits your playstyle better and not what is the FotM for hunters.
MM for single target, SV for fights with AOE.

Or if you're a bad player just stick with SV, its really easy to play, just like BM.
I go SV for the Hunting Party buff, since i'm a team player ;)
I'm SV now after being MM for most of my 4+ years on WoW. MM now with hardcasting AiS is not the same MM I knew. High single target dps aside, i find it clunky, boring and not fun to play (and no it's not that difficult, just mind numbingly boring). SV flows nicely and has more utility. I raid 10 man only and it provides a needed buff as well. Try both, play what you like, but I'd leave BM for questing, PVP, screwing around or whatever...It has not in recent history, nor is it now (imo) a viable raiding spec.
There was a time when BM was viable for raids(some point in BC), and i have had better dps not hard casting aimed except at the beginning of a fight when the boss is above 80% which is usually when i pop my 1st rapid fire. Though I do agree that MM is a bit like a turret spec at times u can still bring the deeps its just not as easy to play as SV for most.

No comments:

Post a Comment