Thursday, April 12, 2012

Question about tenacity (tank) pets!

[:1]Hello fellow hunters, lately I've been soloing a lot of older content (level 60, 70 raids, level 80 heroics etc.) And for that matter I've been using my tank pet a lot. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what tenacity pet is the best for soloing, and it would be awesome if someone could link me to the most effective talent tree for that pet. I've looked everywhere on the internet but every site seems to contradict each other. I would like the opinion of an actual player, thanks! :)

-Enradel
scarab or turtle for their 50% damage reduction for 12 seconds is best. Just put all your points into health/damage reducers.

http://www.wowhead.com/petcalc#MM0G0rMzzk0b

You can take intervene instead of great resistance, but i find the extra 5% reduction on magic damage helps more.
Thanks a lot for your feedback man! :) I appreciate it, I was strongly considering getting a turtle and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one hehe.
A lot of people like to use turtles. I myself don't though. I do just fine without. But that's just a matter of taste really. Pretty much any tenacity will be fine for the most part. I personally use a worm most of the time. But I've been using my crab a lot lately too. His pin helps manage loose adds a little. But the worm's acid spit is nice on bosses.

I like the spec I'm currently using (my second spec) for soloing and questing. If you happen to look at my armory, you're going to have to look at my crab for his spec. My worm uses the same spec but if you click on him, he shows his dps spec atm.

Two key glyphs you should get are Glyph of Mending and Glyph of Misdirection. All your other glyphs are going to be a matter of personal taste really.
Yeah these two glyphs are exactly the one I bought the other day, I'm glad I made a good decision, they seem pretty crucial when it comes to soloing raids and stuffs. Thanks for your feedback I will be looking into your pet tree =)
I've been using a warp stalker lately. (One of those dragon like thingys from Outlands. My first tenacity pet too, I leveled from like 1-70 with a wolf.)

Granted his special isn't amazing, but I picked him more because I liked the look of him. (Found a nice red one that I liked.)

He's not as good as the turtle, but he still lets me laugh at group quests as a solo them. (And those annoying rune giants in Grizzly Hills that always killed my warrior.)

In the end, I don't think it matters so much exactly what family it is, as long as it's a tenacity pet. I don't like the way turtles looks, so I picked something I liked. They all have the same tree and access to the same talents.

Speaking of the Misdirect glyph, does anyone have a macro to cast misdirect on my pet? I'll be getting MD in one level and was wondering how a macro like that would look.
maybe something like

/cast [@pet, exists] Misdirection



I love my turtle. Even more so since he took out 4 level 63 elite nagas in Slave Pens when I was only level 63. You may also want Glyph of Mend Pet if you don't have it - it's a minor but it saves you from stacking up on food for your pet
I do have the mend pet glyph, but my warp stalker has the talents that gives him happiness every time he growls (I think it's called guard dog) and his diet is fruit and fish, which is fairly easy to come by.

Last night I solo'd a couple of group quests in Grizzly hills that I'd never been able to solo before. It was pretty amazing. (The Ursoc the Bear God one, if you remember it from leveling there. lol) I didn't get a tenacity pet until like lvl 71 and when I finally got one I realized I had been missing out on some serious awesomeness for 70 levels.

Thanks for the macro!
haha oops, the macro was for you but the glyph and turtle part were for the OP on my pet suggestion. Let me know if that works though - I haven't quite figured out the "exists" clause, but that sounds right, and I don't have MD to verify it does work.

Ah Ursoc - I hated that quest!! And the stupid NPC druid is NO help at all, ever!

It's an amazing feeling when you solo group quests, isn't it? I've soloed the overlord in hellfire - first time I had to actually move because of adds so I kept strafing. I've soloed the elite rock quest in hellfire. But when I did what I did in slave pens - now that was an amazing feeling because I thought I'd surely die against 4 same level elites that aggro all at once. My pet earned almost as much respect from me as Lynyrd Skynyrd did the first time I played guitar on "Free Bird" on Rock Band 3.
I'll test it out and fool around with it. I'm firmly convinced that once I get MD (with the glyph of MD of course) I can tank a dungeon with my warp stalker. I already tanked about a third of VH yesterday. (Tank left after the first boss cause a piece of loot he wanted didn't drop.) Was kind of amazing, and ridiculously easy. As long as everyone attacked my pet's target, he held aggro no problem. Between the buffed Kill Commands from bm and intimidation, the amount of single target threat he produced was a bit ridiculous. Only time he had trouble was when people started aoeing. Once I get MD, that will fix that.

The druid npc is beyond worthless. I think mend pet outhealed him.

I love the way BM interacts with the tenacity pet because a lot of BM's damage comes from kill command, which not only does good damage, but gives all of the threat from that damage to your pet.

I didn't really start soloing group quests until northrend (when I got my tenacity pet) because I didn't have one before then. (Partially because I never really took the time to tame one and partially because I couldn't really find one that I liked until the warp stalker.) Now, however, I look forward to group quests so I can solo them just because I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment